AMA Style uses a superscript Arabic numeral system to refer readers to the reference list entry.
- Cite using superscript numbers (e.g. 1,2 )
- Number references in the order they appear in your paper
- Place numbered superscripts:
- Immediately next to the fact, idea or quotation being cited
- Outside commas and periods; inside colons and semicolons
- Using author names in the text of your paper
- Using author names is optional in AMA
- To use an author name:
- Only use the authors’ last names
- To refer to studies with one or two authors, include both names
- For studies with 3 or more authors, include the first author's last name and then et al.
A recent study1 reported...
Given low levels of health literacy in the United States,2,3...
Yang et al.4 reviewed...
Other studies confirmed these findings.5-8
Multiple studies have proven that…9,12-15