Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
PICO Information (Videos)
Upstate Medical University
Start with a PICO Question
Defines search terms or keywords and the type of question
P: describes patient, population or problem
- target of clinical question
- identify clinical characteristics relevant to question
I: describes the intervention under review
- what is being considered?
C: describes the comparison intervention
- what would be done in place of the intervention above?
- what is standard practice?
- may not always be available
O: describes outcome
- what is relevant to patient or practitioner?
- what is found in the literature?